2017 Dizzy Gillespie Centennial Composition Competition
With a mission to inspire, enrich and connect new and diverse audiences, the South Carolina Jazz Festival and ColaJazz.com are calling for your original jazz composition to celebrate the centennial year of Dizzy Gillespie’s birth! The winner will receive a $400 cash prize and have their work performed live at the Grand Finale Concert on Saturday, Oct 21! By promoting the movement that jazz music is alive, inspirational, and relevant to every community, we are doing our part to connect Cheraw and the rest of South Carolina with the evolution of this tradition.
Composers of any age, gender, nationality are eligible.
- Composition should be presented as a jazz lead sheet; i.e. melody and chords. You may have multiple pages for trumpet, sax, piano, bass and drums, but they MUST be COMBINED into 1 (one) single PDF to upload.
- Instrumentation should not exceed a classic jazz quintet of one trumpet, one saxophone (alto or tenor), piano, bass and drums.
- Preference will be given to those scores with accompanying audio or video recording. Provide links in your comments.
- Score can include re-imaginings of existing works for which you have been granted permission to arrange/re-imagine; HOWEVER, preference will be given to all original works.
- Please specify if this will be a world premiere, a US premiere, or an east coast premiere in your comments.
- The selected composition will be announced by October 15, 2017 and performed October 21, 2017
- The SC Jazz Festival will provide the winner with $400 and the work will be performed in front of a live audience at the Grand Final Concert.
This is an anonymous jury comprised of qualified jazz educators and performers.
- Create a single PDF 25mb or less (it can be multiple pages, but combined into one file).
- Title it with the following format: Last Name_First Name_Composition Name; e.g. “Smith_John_Dizzys_Delight.pdf”
- Use the form below to fill in your information and upload your composition.
- For any questions, please email: email@example.com
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR WORK
October 14 2017 11:59PM