A Very Middle C Christmas with Noel Freidline & Friends
One event on December 20, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Doors will open 30 minutes early for Baby Grand Members. Learn more about Middle C Jazz club memberships: https://middlecjazz.com/tickets-memberships/#memberships
Noel Freidline is a 1991 graduate of the University of North Florida, BA in Music (magna cum laude). A pianist, vocalist, writer, arranger and educator, Noel has been the leader of his own group since 1991.
As the leader of the Noel Freidline Quintet for the last 26 years, Freidline has recorded 8 CDs, performed at jazz festivals as diverse as the Jacksonville (FL) Jazz Festival to the Bethlehem (PA) Musikfest to the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, held down a three-year house band position at the Bellagio in Las Vegas and performed for actress Julia Roberts’ surprise 35th birthday party. In February of 2018, Noel released his eighth album, “Old Devil Moon,” a collaboration with vocalist Maria Howell.
In addition to his work with the NFQ, Noel performs regularly with the Charlotte Symphony, both as a featured artist and ensemble member. Noel also performs regularly with touring Broadway shows, most recently “Jersey Boys,” “Bring It On,” “Dream Girls,” “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” “White Christmas,” “Les Miserable,” “Wicked,” and “Beautiful” and as Assistant Music Director for “First Date.” With the NFQ Noel has opened for such diverse artists as Tony Bennett, David Sanborn, Kenny G, Rosemary Clooney, Dave Brubeck, vocalist Layla Hathaway, jazz legend Roy Ayers, and vocalist Jennifer Holliday. Noel has performed with such diverse artists as Nnenna Freelon, Frederic Yonnet, Terry Thornton, and lyricist Tim Rice (“Evita” “The Lion King”).
Noel was named Best Jazz Musician by Charlotte Magazine in 2006 and in 2009 and was named “Best Musical Director” by the Metrolina Theatre Association of the Carolinas. A dilettante of pop culture, Noel has become a popular lecturer for theatres and museums, creating and presenting multi-media presentations on everything from Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons to Mel Brooks. In 2011 Freidline was chosen for the Blumenthal Performing Arts Association (Charlotte, NC) Center Stage Award in recognition of his excellence in service to the arts. In May, 2015 Freidline was inducted into the Jacksonville Jazz Hall of Fame.
Noel has been a Lecturer in Music at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte since 2006, teaching such diverse subjects as music business, the history of rock music, jazz arranging, music theory and ear training, and directing the UNCC jazz combo’s and vocal jazz ensemble.
Freidline performs monthly as part of the Ziad Jazz Quartet for Jazz at the Bechtler, a very successful monthly jazz series put on by the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, Charlotte, NC.
In August of 2013, Freidline was brought on as artistic director by the Columbia (SC) Museum of Art to create a jazz concert series. January of 2014 Freidline launched Jazz on Main, the CMA’s newest concert series, with the series now regularly selling out.
In August of 2012 Freidline launched a contemporary music program at Davidson Day School, Davidson, NC. Focusing on teaching contemporary music styles, this is one of three programs like it in the state of North Carolina.
Noel is also currently the bandleader at Providence Baptist Church, Charlotte, NC.
As a composer and arranger, Noel has written and recorded music for ESPN, ABC and the Walt Disney Company, with his most recent work being featured on Monday Night Football, the NBA All-Star Game, and SportCenter. In March, 2012, Noel completed an artist-in-residency program as a teaching artist with the education department of the Charlotte Symphony, composing and conducting several pieces for the Northwest School of the Arts (Charlotte, NC) orchestra and band.
A native of Clearwater, KS, Noel has resided in Charlotte, NC with his family since 2003.
MIDDLE C JAZZ | Ticket Terms and Conditions
1. Final sale. No refunds, no exchanges, not transferable.
2. We are located at 300 South Brevard Street, at the corner of South Brevard and East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard.
3. Enter on South Brevard Street.
4. Paid parking is available in the 300 South Brevard deck, accessible via East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard. Space is not guaranteed.
5. If traveling via public transportation, the nearest LYNX stop is the 3rd/Convention Center Station.
6. Seating is first-come at the door. Only Baby Grand Members qualify for early seating.
7. Doors open one hour prior to the performance for General Admission ticket-holders. Doors open one hour and 30 minutes prior to the performance for Baby Grand Members. Doors open 30 minutes prior to second shows.
8. Photography or recording of any kind is strictly prohibited. Smart phones are permitted.
• Tickets can be redeemed using a smartphone, no printing is required.
• All shows all ages unless otherwise posted, but please consider this is an adult setting.
• A full bar and light food menu are available throughout the show.
• At Middle C Jazz, we believe in taking care of each other and of ourselves. Please approach your concert experience with consideration for the enjoyment and safety of others, and please travel to and from your show responsibly.
HAVE AN EVENT FOR THE CALENDAR?
Let's build the jazz community together! Our calendar of events is the most popular page on our website. Submit your event to expand your reach and share it with jazz fans throughout South Carolina and beyond. All submitted events must be related to jazz and appealing to jazz fans.